Liverpool Deny Coutinho €200 Million Price Tag 

Liverpool Deny Coutinho €200 Million Price Tag 

Liverpool have denied a deadline-day change of heart on its no-sell policy regarding Philippe Coutinho, calling reports to the contrary “absolutely false.”

The denial comes after Barcelona director, Albert Soler, claimed Liverpool had finally agreed to a sale but at too high a price.

"Liverpool put a price of €200 million on a player that we wanted," Soler told reporters Friday. 

Soler defended Barca’s transfer policy over the summer, saying, "We won't get involved in the game of a market that has lost its way.”

The failure to sign Coutinho capped off a disappointing transfer window for the Blaugrauna, which saw Neymar depart for Paris Saint-Germaine and contract negotiations with Lionel Messi drag on without definite conclusion. 

Although the club went on to sign Borussia Dortmund’s Ousmane Dembele for a club-record €105 million (with the potential to rise to €147 million with add-ons), much criticism has been levied as the transfer window slammed shut. 

Among those critics was Barca great Xavi, who told Marca, “they could have signed better,” and claiming his former team “signed players who do not fit the system.”

Liverpool too will have its share of troubles after the failed Coutinho transfer. Neymar has claimed his fellow Brazilian is feeling “sad and disappointed” after the transfer fell through.

Fans too have been upset by the transfer saga for Liverpool’s top scorer last season. Despite Coutinho having promised to stay with Liverpool “for a few more years” earlier this year, the player handed in a transfer request in August. The club rejected the request. 

Coutinho has yet to make his debut this season, with manager Jurgen Klopp saying the player has been out with a back injury. However, Coutinho has starred on international duty this week, scoring against Ecuador in a World Cup qualifier on Thursday.